Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'd Rather be a Blue Collar Man

I’d Rather Be a Blue Collar Man

There is a very funny thing about fitness and training that I see all the time. People have a tendency to think of it like a diet – a fad. It has a starting point - in some cases a goal and then no plans of continuation. No systems in place for continued success. Proper nutrition and healthy living has no ending point – it is a position. It is a cognitive and decisive stance to change. Once the mindset is changed – the body will follow. 

So I was talking with one of my athletes about her upcoming training schedule. She was telling me a story of another trainer at another facility trying to convince her that she should train with him. His approach was that she had the “right” build and fit to become a good athlete. He then spoke about proper shoes to make her faster, better clothing to make her efficient and a new bike that would determine her future success. I share this story for the simple reason that fitness is not bought from a catalog. It has nothing to do with equipment. It has nothing to do with aesthetics. Fitness is earned not bought.

For those individuals who shop at LuLu Lemon to prepare yourself for fitness or the ones who have to have a pair of Newton running shoes in order to run – I will give you a hint. Stop worrying about what you look like if you want to change what you look like. It is all about positive choices and moving your body. So stop making stupid excuses – GRAB THE HANDLE AND DO WORK ~ The Average Joe

2 comments:

  1. You said it brother. So now, where do I get my pink shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact is that people truly believe that they can buy race times. Trendy gear is only a benefit if are fit to use it.
    One example is an expensive tri bike for an athlete that can't ride in aero for the majority of the bike.
    Another non-re...lated example would be talking supplements to compensate for poor eating habits.
    Shit, we watched an athlete finish Iroman Louisville wearing cut off jean shorts while riding a steel 10 speed.
    Personally, I ride a lower end bike, swim in a baseline wetsuit. Every single race I bring my "A" game cause it's not about the bike, the suit, or my shoes. It's about the ability to safely train-up with my goal in mind and execute on game day.

    ReplyDelete