Monday, April 4, 2011

Slice me a Piece of Humble Pie - Please

My pie has been served to me – humble pie that is. After completing Crossfit Open workout number two yesterday, I was frustrated, humbled and honored all at the same time. After only two weeks since my 100k finish, I was expecting to be fully recovered and ready for Crossfit again – boy was I wrong.

I pride myself on not taking myself or competition workouts too seriously. That has been my stance for a very long time and I have had a tremendous amount of success just being a fit and well rounded participant. But last week, I took the workout too seriously, placing expectations on my head for no reason at all. I left that workout frustrated and defeated.

Why did I do that to myself? I spent the afternoon playing with my kids and reflecting on what went wrong. Late yesterday afternoon, my four year old was telling her sisters that she was at the gym earlier that day and she said to them “daddy won today”. It is pretty sad when I have to get advice from a four year old girl. But she was right. I did win today! I had the opportunity to workout next to people who have been working hard for this competition. I had the opportunity to get out and play. I had the opportunity to be surrounded by like-minded people who are pulling for you not for results but for our community.

I should not be embarrassed by my score. I should be embarrassed for not thinking of my family first -my Elm City family that is. While judging, I looked around the room at all of the fight and fire that was being performed. I witnessed genuine hard work and the desire to compete. I saw individual athletes raise the bar and step it up to another level of output. I saw people having fun – fighting their fears and stepping out of their comfort zones. Even while competing, I had the amazing opportunity to workout next to some true lions – some fire breathing animals. Larry and Bobby, you guys raised the bar. It was an honor to compete with you. Regardless of the score, regardless of the rankings – I am proud of all who toed the line. I am privileged to have witnessed our competition and most of all I am grateful to have been served humble pie. All of you have made me a better coach, father, husband, athlete and man. I will forever be indebted to you once again. ~The Average Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment