Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whose in Control?

I know it has been a long time since my last post. But, like anyone in the world today, I have an excuse. I took a week to visit my family down south. It is always great to travel, see family and spend time with my kids. But, when it comes to keeping good eating habits and a solid workout regiment, sometimes it is very difficult. I pretty much decided early on in my trip that I would just relax and take each day as it comes. That seems to be my motto these days. I need to control what I can control and not worry about things which are completely beyond my control. This has been especially true for my family life, working life, coaching life and my exercise life.

The premise is fairly simple. It consists of a three-part process. There are things that are directly in your control. You can always control the outcomes. There is a direct correlation between your actions and the outcome. Conversely, there are interactions and outcomes that are completely out of your control. These are things that an individual has no influence or authority to maneuver. Now comes the interesting element - between control and uncontrolled come influence. This is the behavior or actions you can control in relationship to things you cannot control. One’s ability to control your influence has a great presence in almost any situation or circumstance you experience.

Example: I sign up for a race. I cannot control the weather, terrain, population or course. What I can control is my focus, my training, my nutrition and my strategy. What I control will influence the things I cannot control. This idea not only applies to training. It applies to all facets of my life. I find that making since of the order helps me stay in CONTROL! ~ The Average Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment