Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Game Time


I decided to support our New Haven Warrior Rugby team members this past weekend and I decided to attend a very important match. Even though things were extremely busy for me personally, I decided that I was going to take my girls to see my boys play. Now I have to be honest, there are different types of rugby games and this particular league is pretty new to me. I played many years of union type – which has more players on the field at once and much more open play. After settling into our seats inside West Haven High School stadium, I was quickly captured by the simplicity, camaraderie and purity of this sport I love.

I have to come clean. My original intention on attending the game was to support the players that come to Elm City Crossfit. But I soon became victim to the supportive environment and uncomplicated love for this game. I was proud to be a part of this event as well as having the opportunity to share with my girls this day. I had a wonderful time!

The highlight of my experience was not even the action on the field – even though very exciting, addicting and even brutal. I yearned to be back in the game myself. My aha moment was when I spotted an old Crossfit friend sitting all by himself in the stands. Ben Kelly – BK, owner of BK Athletics and Crossfit Performance. I watched BK as he read his book that he brought, take notes on players and plays – I watched him yell at players and point towards the opposition and coach the team towards the slightest opportunities. Later BK transitioned from the stands to the field. He quickly changed his flip flop to a more appropriate running shoe and began to coach more intently.

I watched the rest of the game while the team experienced highs and lows – ups and downs as any team would during competition. I was proud to have been able to contribute to this group of men – helping them in their conditioning and preparation. The thing that struck me the most was BK’s compassion and dedication to a group of guys whom play a sport that made him the athlete and coach that he is today. When you think about it, BK is an Average Joe. He was not at this game to drum up new business. He was not participating to make money or to profit off this team. He was there because he loves this game. He was an international rugby superstar – representing our country on the world stage in this sport. Why is he here? He was there because he understands how this game can transform people. It transformed him.

I look at this day, this game, this interaction as an opportunity. I had the great fortune to not only witness a super game but I had the opportunity to witness a great coach and person. I am grateful and honored that I took this opportunity. The funny thing is that great leaders, motivators and coaches do things not for themselves but for others. Simplicity, love, perseverance and commitment – all in the name of the game he loves. What is your game? What is your compassion? Are you committed? ~ The Average Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment