Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Diet?

Would you run your car into the ground without any regards to maintenance? Would you let your child go to school without lunch? Do you work a 4 hour day when you were hired to work 8? I am sure the answers to these questions are no. So why would you look for the quick fix without understanding the root of the potential issues. Proper eating habits are continuous. As we have learned in the last several decades, masking proper eating habits with fad diets and deceptive packaging does not earn you nutritional success. It takes proper planning, execution and most importantly consistency. Don’t sell yourself short on the idea that if I eat good most of the time then I can slide sometimes. It is the old 80/20 rule.

I never refer to proper nutrition as a diet. The word diet infers that there is a starting point and there is a finish line. This introduces the idea that it is ok to binge before the starting point and again when I cross that proverbial finish line. This will inevitability set you up for ultimate failure. Now, I am not telling you to never indulge. Make this a special occasion indulgence - not your normal mode of operation.

It is funny how things work out. When I started losing weight over a decade ago, I was concerned with only moving my body. I felt as though the only way towards weight loss is through exercise. I now know – all these years later that nutrition and proper food consumption is not an auxiliary function of good health but it is paramount. ~The Average Joe

4 comments:

  1. I agree that nutrition is paramount to lifelong health. I do disagree with the 80/20 at least initially until the body has had ample time to re-establish “optimal” function. Many people struggle with weight loss (both initially and long term) because of “mental bargaining.” Thus, never allow time for the body's system to “reboot.”
    There is always a reason to celebrate because we live in a celebratory society. That mentality has gotten the majority of the population sick, inflamed, and misinformed. People need to understand that and really learn to choose healthier options and find a way to stick to quality nutritional choices.
    Nutrition can not be a one size fits all approach. The level of carbohydrate consumption will vary person to person and day to day based on activity levels to name a few. It’s very unfortunate that the majority of the things they believe to be true regarding exercise and nutrition are false. If a person struggles with weight it can often be attributed and traced back to a pattern of compromise as it relates to quality nutrition.
    Thanks,
    Vin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You only workout max an hour a day a few days a week(depending on the person obv.), you have the rest of the 23 hours a day to ruin your progress with a bad diet. Nutritional plan in incredibley important. You can do all the crossfit/bodybuilding/powerlifting/oly lifting you want, you eat like **** youll make **** for progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I constantly get questions from family/friends about my "diet", and I immediately correct them to say it isn't one. Vinis spot on with the mental bargaining, I see it everyday in life and on television. Someone says, "Oh it's ok to have the cake, it's a treat". Meanwhile they have no idea, nor care that you ate two donuts and drank a Venti Latte on the ride over. You take their positive affirmation that it is all right, and cash that check, even though you know you shouldn't. Then you are left to wonder why you can't acheive your goals or feel like crap. 80/20 only works if you really mean 80/20, not 60/40 or worse....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I'm with JD--my problem (and I suspect that of many others) with "mental bargaining" is that 80/20 becomes 60/40 without constant attention to minute detail. It is actually much simpler (easier!) to just say "I don't eat that." This isn't to say that I don't indulge, but it must be seen as an indulgence, not a normal occurrence.

    ReplyDelete